WAYNE COUNTY, TENNESSEE
FRIENDSHIP CEMETERY
# 155

OLD FRIENDSHIP BAPTIST CHURCH

Enumerated by David Leon Montgomery

dmont1734@comcast.net

Click on the name above to send an e-mail or use the email address

Enumerated February 15, 2004

GPS Coordinates: Lat: 35 02 10 N, Lon: 87 43 40 W

 

To reach the Friendship Cemetery, travel south from Collinwood, Tennessee on State Hwy. 13 for approximately 11.6 miles. Turn right (west) onto Pumping Station Rd. (CO. Rd. 227) and go 3.1 miles. Immediately upon passing an automobile salvage yard. Turn right (north) and the cemetery is on the right side of the road about 60 yards after turning.

 

This cemetery is in Wayne County, Tennessee. This cemetery has 49 graves marked only with white concrete crosses, all unknown. There are 54 unknown graves total. The cemetery grounds are somewhat neglected.

 

Boyd, Eli H., b. 20 Jan 1875, d. 25 Nov 1908

Boyd, infant, b. 27 Jan 1901, d. 03 Feb 1901, son of W.D. & M.E.

Boyd, infant, b. 06 Feb 1909, d. 28 Apr 1909, son of W.D. & M.E.

Boyd, Jane, b. 02 May 1845, d. 25 Aug 1929, wife of Levi

Boyd, Levi P., b. 02 Jul 1847, d. 21 Mar 1883, husband of Jane

Boyd, Mathay B., b. 18 Jul 1897, d. 26 Sep 1901

Boyd, W.D., b. 28 Sep 1875, d. 07 Dec 1909

Burns, Elmira E., b. 12 Aug 1853, d. 14 Mar 1892

Burns, J.H., b. 04 Feb 1849, d. 28 Apr 1926

Burns, Robert, b. 04 Oct 1903, d. 08 Jul 1909, son of T.H. & L.E.

Butler, infant, b. 06 Feb 1920, d. 17 Feb 1920, son of M.F. & B.D.

Butler, infant, b. 12 Feb 1924, d. 06 Oct 1924, daughter of J.W. & M.B.

Darby, J. Thomas, b. 26 May 1876, d. 23 Mar 1955, husband of Malinda

Darby, Lillie, b. 24 Mar 1901, d. 08 Aug 1903, daughter of J.T. & S.M.

Darby, S. Malinda, b. 29 Mar 1877, d. 22 May 1953, wife of J. Thomas

Dial, Carolyn Sue, b. 26 Jul 1949, d. 30 Oct 1992

Dial, Clara Wayne, b. 16 Nov 1916, d. 28 Aug 1994, wife of Tom Lee

Dial, John W., b. 19 Mar 1875, d. 07 Aug 1950, husband of Martha Ada

Dial, Martha Ada, b. 01 Jan 1881, d. 10 Jan 1951, wife of John W.

Dial, Richard C., b. 24 Apr 1908, d. 19 Mar 1985, Pfc. US Army

Dial, Tom Lee, b. 13 Dec 1911, d. 02 Sep 1951, husband of Clara

Haddock, J.R., b. 28 Nov 1851, d. 21 Mar 1923

May, W.D., b. 03 Feb 1897, d. 25 Mar 1897, son of M.B. & W.L.

McCorkle, Mary G., b. 20 Jul 1870, d. 14 Jan 1897, wife of G.P.

Olive, A.L., b. 18 May 1903, d. 24 Oct 1904, daughter of W.N. & M.E.

Olive, Albert P., TN Pvt. U4 M C BN ?0 Div, only information

Olive, Annie, b. 16 Nov 1901, d. 19 Mar 1999, wife of David

Olive, David, b. 02 Dec 1898, d. 01 Jan 1940, husband of Annie

Olive, Herschel, b. 17 Jan 1913, d. 15 Nov 1940, son of W.N. & M.E.

Olive, Mary E., b. 20 Oct 1879, d. 25 Sep 1932, wife of W. Newt

Olive, Price, b. 03 May 1915, d. 12 Apr 1938, son of W.N. & M.E.

Olive, T.B., b. 10 Sep 1861, d. 21 Oct 1923

Olive, W. Newt, b. 25 Nov, 1876, d. 17 Mar 1958, husband of Mary E.

Olive, Walter L., b. 06 Aug 1895, d. 21 Jun 1910, son of T.B. & F.A.

Phillips, Turner A., b. 28 Feb 1830, d. 07 Apr 1871

Reaves, C.C., (Dick), b. 1879, d. 1930

Reaves, Cecil R., b. 1908, d. 1997

Smith, E.B., b. 22 Feb 1882, d. 03 Feb 1900, son of J.E. & N.A.

Whitten, Angeline (Fowler), b. May 1850, d. 31 Jan 1907

 

Additional Information: From a survey done by Edgar D. Byler III in 1971, there were 56 graves marked with small white crosses and additional 29 graves marked only with fieldstone’s. Two other graves, not found above are listed below.

 

Burns, Z., d. 1854, age 1 year. (Inscription on fieldstone marker)

Reaves, Mrs. Louie Arnett, 1882 – 1971

 

This cemetery was adjacent to the old Friendship Baptist Church, which was established about 1830. Rev. Peter Satterfield (Sutterfield) was one of the early ministers. The Church was moved and renamed Oak Grove in 1867.

 

In addition to the above graves, there are several probable burials in this cemetery.

 

Thornton, Josiah, b. 22 Aug 1758, d. 1846-1848, Revolutionary War Soldier

Thornton, Sarah, b. 1 Mar 1763, d. Oct 1849, wife of Josiah

Westmoreland, William, b. 1775, d. 1854, believed to be buried here and marked with large fieldstone’s with the inscription “W.W.”

Homepage